fall pests | IMEL PEST CONTROL
Here’s what you should know about pests & crops
For most fruits and vegetables, peak harvest season in Illinois lands somewhere between the end of summer and the first half of all. Many farmers and homeowners in Granite City, IL swear there is a connection between pests and the harvest season, and often find the need to ramp up insect control tactics during this time. Are they right? Let’s take a look at the facts.
Pests and Crops: The Connection
Certain pests are historically drawn to crops or post-harvest storage areas. Here are a few of the most common pests Illinois exterminators are called to remove:
- Rodents. One of the most detrimental pests to harvest yield and homes, rodents feed on harvested crops and breed in the fall season. Capable of nesting behind walls, in attics, and in cabinetry, rodents can lead to airborne diseases if not removed.
- Beetles. Some beetles, like the Japanese beetle, feed on the foliage of crops. Once harvest is complete and their primary food source is gone, the Japanese beetle can be found making its way into homes in search of food.
- Stink bugs. Like other insects and pests, stink bugs feed on crops and can have a devastating effect on yield. Once they’ve exhausted their food supply, stink bugs can sneak into homes seeking warmth and food.
- Armyworms. These pests are historically associated with corn and wheat crops. Though they don’t typically come indoors, they can completely demolish the landscape of a home which makes them particularly worrisome for homeowners.
How Pest Control Helps
Professional pest control services offer peace of mind for farmers and homeowners looking to protect their properties from seasonal pests. Custom insect control and pest removal services may include:
- Property inspection
- Rodent trapping
- Insect identification
- Pet and kid-friendly insect control solutions
Depending on the time of year and severity of the threat, pest control services may be able to prevent a full-scale infestation of pests and rodents.
Get Help from Professional Exterminators
The harvest season is affected greatly by local rainfall and temperatures in Granite City, IL, but the pests associated with the harvest are fairly predictable. Take steps to protect your home from the devastating effects of seasonal pests and insects. Call Imel Pest Control at (618) 377-9839 to schedule a free inspection today.
They creep, they crawl, they even glide and slide across the floor. No, we’re not talking about a 1950’s horror movie based on a gelatinous monster. We are talking about fall pests. Right around Halloween, when things are scary enough, you don’t need an additional fright with the presence of a creepy crawly. Learn about the habits of Godfrey, IL pests during the spookiest season of the year.
Fall Insects in Illinois
Some insects and critters can be found throughout the year in Godfrey, IL, but the fall season tends to bring more of them out. You should be particularly aware of the following critters:
Cockroaches. Between school being back in session and parties kicking off for the holiday season, cockroaches have plenty to chew on and not much reason to leave your home. Keep an eye out for cockroach droppings as this will usually be the first sign these pests have infiltrated your home.
Rodents. The fall season beckons the rodent population to start hiding indoors for the winter, and your home is likely the first place they’ll consider. If you have dark spaces and an available water supply, your home is the perfect place for a rodent infestation to occur.
Silverfish. Fall is the perfect time to make use of that fresh, cool air. But, the added humidity within your home creates the perfect environment for silverfish, which love the humidity. An infestation of these pests can result in damage to clothing, books and wallpaper.
Professional Insect Control
You’ll have enough fake spiders and critters decorating your home that you don’t need real ones mixed in. Get a jump start on fall pest control and prevent the need for emergency pest removal when you work with professional exterminators in Godfrey, IL. Imel Pest Control offers rapid pest removal, effective pest control and a 60-day warranty on all services to keep your home pest-free.
Get Pest Removal & Extermination Services Today
Whether you’re planning an all-out Halloween bash or simply handing out candy, you want your special effects and props to scare your guests — not the critters. Get a free, on-site inspection today to make sure your home is pest-free in time for the real spooks to come out. Contact Imel Pest Control today at (618) 377-9839 to schedule a visit with one of our professional exterminators.
With summer fading into the sunset, fall is a favorite season for many in Glen Carbon, IL. The air becomes crisp and cool, the holidays are just around the corner, and it’s finally time for pumpkin! Unfortunately, it’s also time for a few unwanted pests to start making their way into Illinois homes. Learn about a few types of Illinois pests that signal the start of the fall season.
Common Fall Pests in Glen Carbon, IL
Fall is a busy time for many Glen Carbon, IL residents. But, don’t let all the activity distract you from the coming swarm of pests that tend to arrive in this busy season. Here are the most common pests and insects you’ll see in fall:
- Stink bugs. As the heat of summer dies down, stink bugs begin to seek warm areas, which means you may see a few in your home. Though they don’t destroy homes, they do emit an awful smell if killed.
- Rats and mice. Fall is the breeding season for rodents and, if they choose to nest in your home, they can take over in no time. Favorite nesting spots for rodents are attics, behind walls, and inside cabinets.
- Like stink bugs, crickets are attracted to warmth. As the fall air becomes cooler, crickets often make their way into homes.
How to Keep Pests Out of Your Home
Regular pest control services are a great way to keep pests outdoors where they belong, but there are other things you should check when fall comes around. Consider the following:
- Notice a draft now and then? If air can come into your home through windows and doors, so can most insects. Seal up any cracks and ensure weatherstripping is intact.
- Rodent and insect droppings. Smaller droppings can signal a cockroach issue, but larger droppings may indicate you have a rodent infestation. In this case, you’ll need pest removal services performed by trained exterminators and ongoing pest control.
- Food sources. Some insects prefer to eat cellulose, which is found in paper, clothing, and books, but others enjoy the actual food. Make sure your dry food storage includes airtight containers that prevent access to nutrition.
Prevent Fall Pest Infestations
If you want to prevent pests from invading your home and shacking up for the coming winter months, the time to have your home inspected and serviced is now. At Imel Pest Control, we offer a variety of pest removal and extermination services to keep unwanted guests out of your home. Contact us today at (618) 377-9839 to schedule a no-obligation estimate.