As the leaves start to change colors and the temperature begins to drop, the fall season brings about a sense of coziness and tranquility. However, it also brings unwanted guests to our homes: stink bugs and boxelder bugs. These pesky insects can quickly become a nuisance, invading our living spaces, and emitting unpleasant odors. In this blog, we will discuss effective ways to deal with stink bugs and boxelder bugs during the fall season in Edwardsville, IL.
Understanding Stink Bugs and Boxelder Bugs
Stink bugs and boxelder bugs are common insects that seek shelter indoors when the weather turns cooler. They are attracted to warmth and light, making our homes an ideal destination for them. Understanding these pests’ behavior and biology is the first step in effectively dealing with them.
- Seal Entry Points: To keep stink bugs and boxelder bugs from entering your home, inspect your doors, windows, and other potential entry points. Seal any gaps, cracks, or crevices with caulk or weather stripping. Pay special attention to screens on windows and doors, as these can be prime entry points if they have tears or holes.
- Install Screens: Adding fine-mesh screens to your windows and doors can serve as an extra layer of protection against these insects. These screens not only prevent them from entering but also allow you to enjoy fresh air without worrying about unwanted visitors.
- Turn Off Lights: Stink bugs and boxelder bugs are attracted to light sources. At night, minimize outdoor lighting near your home, as this can reduce their attraction to your property. Additionally, draw curtains or blinds at night to keep indoor lights from attracting bugs.
If you’re looking for eco-friendly ways to deal with stink bugs and boxelder bugs, consider these natural remedies:
- Neem Oil: Neem oil is a natural insect repellent that can be sprayed around potential entry points and hiding places. It’s safe for humans and pets and can help deter these pests.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils like lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus can act as natural repellents. Be sure to dilute with water and then spray around entry points around your home like your windows and doors.
- Diatomaceous Earth: Diatomaceous earth is a natural, non-toxic powder that can be sprinkled around the perimeter of your home. It works by dehydrating and killing insects when they come into contact with it.
Professional Pest Control
If you find that stink bugs and boxelder bugs have already infested your Edwardsville, IL home, it may be time to consider professional pest control services. Pest control experts can assess the extent of the infestation and implement effective treatments to eliminate these pests.
Managing Indoor Infestations
If you’re dealing with an indoor infestation, follow these steps:
- Capture and Remove: Use a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to gently capture stink bugs and boxelder bugs. Empty the vacuum bag or canister promptly to prevent odors.
- Dispose of Bugs: Once captured, either release the insects outside or place them in a sealed plastic bag and dispose of them in an outdoor trash bin.
- Clean and Seal: Thoroughly clean the areas where you found the bugs. This will remove any pheromone trails they may have left behind and discourage others from returning.
If you live in the Edwardsville, IL area and are in need of pest removal services to rid your home of stink bugs and boxelder bugs, contact IMEL Pest Control!