Pest Control: Treating Bed Bugs & Preventing Bed Bugs
There’s no pest problem that will make your skin crawl quite like a bed bug infestation. However, it is a preventable and treatable problem. Here’s what you need to do to keep bed bugs out of your home and get rid of them if you do have them. Read below to learn about preventing bed bugs in your home in Bethalto, Illinois.
Preventing Bed Bugs
The biggest thing you can do to keep your home free of bed bugs is to work to prevent them in the first place. Firstly, you need to be very careful about any secondhand furniture you bring home. If you see signs of bed bugs, don’t bring it into your home. Putting a cover on your mattress and box spring may also be helpful as its light color will make them easier to spot. Vacuuming frequently is also a big help when it comes to keeping bed bugs out of your home.
If you use a shared laundry facility, be very careful about how you do that. Make sure you’re transporting your laundry in bags and keeping it away from other laundry which may have bed bugs on it.
Treating Bed Bugs
If you already have a bed bug problem, the important thing to do now is focus on bed bug treatment techniques. There are numerous things you can do to get bed bugs out of your home, such as:
- Cleaning bedding, linens, curtains, and clothing in hot water and drying them on the hottest setting (You can use the dryer for items that can’t be washed)
- Using a brush to remove bugs and eggs from your mattress
- Vacuuming your bed and the area around it on a regular basis (Remember to put the vacuum bag in a plastic bag and throw it away outdoors as soon as possible)
- Encasing your mattress and box springs with a cover to keep bed bugs from getting to other spots
- Fixing cracks in glue and wallpaper to eliminate hiding spots
- Getting rid of clutter in your home (especially around your bed) that could provide hiding spots
You might also consider investing in a new mattress if your mattress is infested with bugs and eggs.
Having bed bugs is no fun, but the good news is there are things you can do to prevent them and get them out of your home. If you’re having trouble solving your bed bug problem, you can always call a professional for expert help.