fall pest control | IMEL PEST CONTROL
Here’s what you should know about pests & crops
For most fruits and vegetables, peak harvest season in Illinois lands somewhere between the end of summer and the first half of all. Many farmers and homeowners in Granite City, IL swear there is a connection between pests and the harvest season, and often find the need to ramp up insect control tactics during this time. Are they right? Let’s take a look at the facts.
Pests and Crops: The Connection
Certain pests are historically drawn to crops or post-harvest storage areas. Here are a few of the most common pests Illinois exterminators are called to remove:
- Rodents. One of the most detrimental pests to harvest yield and homes, rodents feed on harvested crops and breed in the fall season. Capable of nesting behind walls, in attics, and in cabinetry, rodents can lead to airborne diseases if not removed.
- Beetles. Some beetles, like the Japanese beetle, feed on the foliage of crops. Once harvest is complete and their primary food source is gone, the Japanese beetle can be found making its way into homes in search of food.
- Stink bugs. Like other insects and pests, stink bugs feed on crops and can have a devastating effect on yield. Once they’ve exhausted their food supply, stink bugs can sneak into homes seeking warmth and food.
- Armyworms. These pests are historically associated with corn and wheat crops. Though they don’t typically come indoors, they can completely demolish the landscape of a home which makes them particularly worrisome for homeowners.
How Pest Control Helps
Professional pest control services offer peace of mind for farmers and homeowners looking to protect their properties from seasonal pests. Custom insect control and pest removal services may include:
- Property inspection
- Rodent trapping
- Insect identification
- Pet and kid-friendly insect control solutions
Depending on the time of year and severity of the threat, pest control services may be able to prevent a full-scale infestation of pests and rodents.
Get Help from Professional Exterminators
The harvest season is affected greatly by local rainfall and temperatures in Granite City, IL, but the pests associated with the harvest are fairly predictable. Take steps to protect your home from the devastating effects of seasonal pests and insects. Call Imel Pest Control at (618) 377-9839 to schedule a free inspection today.