fall insects Archives - IMEL PEST CONTROL
With summer fading into the sunset, fall is a favorite season for many in Glen Carbon, IL. The air becomes crisp and cool, the holidays are just around the corner, and it’s finally time for pumpkin! Unfortunately, it’s also time for a few unwanted pests to start making their way into Illinois homes. Learn about a few types of Illinois pests that signal the start of the fall season.
Common Fall Pests in Glen Carbon, IL
Fall is a busy time for many Glen Carbon, IL residents. But, don’t let all the activity distract you from the coming swarm of pests that tend to arrive in this busy season. Here are the most common pests and insects you’ll see in fall:
- Stink bugs. As the heat of summer dies down, stink bugs begin to seek warm areas, which means you may see a few in your home. Though they don’t destroy homes, they do emit an awful smell if killed.
- Rats and mice. Fall is the breeding season for rodents and, if they choose to nest in your home, they can take over in no time. Favorite nesting spots for rodents are attics, behind walls, and inside cabinets.
- Like stink bugs, crickets are attracted to warmth. As the fall air becomes cooler, crickets often make their way into homes.
How to Keep Pests Out of Your Home
Regular pest control services are a great way to keep pests outdoors where they belong, but there are other things you should check when fall comes around. Consider the following:
- Notice a draft now and then? If air can come into your home through windows and doors, so can most insects. Seal up any cracks and ensure weatherstripping is intact.
- Rodent and insect droppings. Smaller droppings can signal a cockroach issue, but larger droppings may indicate you have a rodent infestation. In this case, you’ll need pest removal services performed by trained exterminators and ongoing pest control.
- Food sources. Some insects prefer to eat cellulose, which is found in paper, clothing, and books, but others enjoy the actual food. Make sure your dry food storage includes airtight containers that prevent access to nutrition.
Prevent Fall Pest Infestations
If you want to prevent pests from invading your home and shacking up for the coming winter months, the time to have your home inspected and serviced is now. At Imel Pest Control, we offer a variety of pest removal and extermination services to keep unwanted guests out of your home. Contact us today at (618) 377-9839 to schedule a no-obligation estimate.