Imel Pest Control, Inc. Tips, Pest Education & News
Pest Control: Insect Health Hazards to Know About
During our daily activities, we all have encountered insects. Whether a particular kind of insect has invaded your homestead, or it might be a place away from home, they seem to be almost unavoidable. Weather seasons can cause an increased invasion of insects. But have you ever thought of the implications they have on your health?
Well, insects are harmful since they adversely affect your body. Understanding these effects can help you single out harmful insects in Bethalto, IL, and hence take necessary precautionary measures.
Here is a highlight of some of the common health risks associated with insects.
Allergy from bites and stings
Most insects will bite you when they land on your skin usually as they protect themselves or try to feed on you. For instance, mosquitos and bedbugs will bite you so that they can suck blood. Other insects will sting you when you interfere with them. Usually, most people will develop allergic reactions to such stings and bites. You might probably develop reactions such as swollen sore, wheezing, or worse still, anaphylactic shock. Some insects will cause allergic reactions without stinging but just by coming into contact with the skin, for example, cockroaches and dust mites.
Development of an infection
When insects bite or sting you, they usually leave an opening on your skin. If not instantly, you might feel itchy, and if rough, you might end up hurting the skin by opening it up. Such an opening becomes a possible entrance for germs and bacteria. Eventually, you might develop a severe infection if they find their way onto your body. Besides, you might develop bacterial skin infections such as boils and cellulitis, among others. Some other insects such as mosquitos transmit malaria; flies transmit cholera, among others.
Insect infestation can be stressful, especially when the rate is extreme. For instance, when mosquitos invade your house, they might cause sleeplessness at night. Eventually, you may develop emotional due to a lack of sleep. Other insects such as bedbugs also bite at night, disturbing you from sleep. Stress leads to severe health conditions such as high blood pressure among other chronic diseases.
Remedy to insect health hazards
The ultimate solution to insects is by eradicating them. Several companies offer pest control services to clients by deploying various killing mechanisms. You can find out about such companies and identify a reliable one thence hire them for these services.
Harmful insects can pose significant health hazards to you. Do not ignore the harm that can be caused by these minute creatures. Remember that a mosquito kills more people annually compared to an elephant!
How does cold weather affect insects in Benld, IL?
Winter weather in Benld, IL can be downright frigid, with temperatures bottoming out below zero during some months. As a homeowner, you may be wondering what this means for the insects and other pests that make the area home. While many insects might die off during prolonged bouts of cold weather, other species will simply burrow beneath the ground and hibernate until warmer weather returns. Still, others will find a home in your space where it stays warm all year round.
Winter Pests that Make Your Home Theirs
The most common winter pests in Benld, IL are cockroaches, rodents and spiders. They find their way in through your ductwork, crawl space or attic and can also squeeze through drains and window gaps. Once established their population multiplies quickly and can infest your home before you’re even aware of their presence.
Minimizing Winter Pests
There are many ways to reduce the presence of winter pests in your home. These include
- sealing windows and doors, which will also help you keep heat in
- repairing cracks in your home’s foundation
- installing a mesh cover over your chimney
- checking for broken vent covers
- sealing gaps around plumbing lines
- trimming trees and bushes that sit next to your home
- fixing water leaks and install a dehumidifier in your crawl space or basement to reduce moisture
The Importance of Winter Pest Control
Much of the country, including Benld, has experienced warmer-than-normal winters during the past decade, allowing many common pests to remain active during the winter months. More pests can mean more hassle for you and your family, particularly when trying to get rid of them. While bug-proofing and diligence can do a lot to stop a population from growing, once they have become established, you need to call on a professional pest control company like Imel Pest Control to take care of the problem at its source. They have the tools and the experience to handle spiders, cockroaches, and other winter pests completely, so you can spend the winter season pest-free and cozy.
How to Insect-Proof the Outside of Your Home for the Belleville Winter
Pest control services in Belleville, IL are in high demand during the winter months of the year. A new type of pest infestation occurs as insects and rodents scurry to seek shelter from the cold. If you want to keep the pests out of your home, there are things that you can do to make the outside of your property free of insects and vermin. In fact, pest prevention is the alternative to hiring pest control to take care of the problem that could potentially worsen in size. Learn how to insect-proof your home in order to get prepared for the winter.
Tips on how to insect-proof the outside of your home for the Belleville winter include:
- Closing up entryways into the home. Insects and rodents enter through cracks, gaps, and holes. If you notice that there are visible signs of damage to your property’s siding, foundation or even window screens, it’s time to take charge and get those problem areas fixed. Doing so prevents insects and vermin from entering the home from the outside.
- Remove all sources of standing water. If snow has melted in buckets or birdbaths, make sure to dump them regularly to keep bugs from gravitating to the water. It’s where many insects lay their eggs and that means that as long as there is a place available to do so, you’ll have new insects hatching throughout the season. Don’t give the bugs a reason to hang around any longer than a second.
- Cover all firewood or bring it into an indoor space. Insects love hanging out in your woodpile. It provides the perfect shelter for them as well as a source of food. You can easily prevent the problem from occurring by finding an alternative place to store your firewood. If you need to keep a large amount of cut wood on hand for your furnace or fireplace, you may want to keep it in a sealed shed way away from all the insects who want to make your yard their new home.
Pest prevention takes action on your behalf. By diligently removing potential causes of pests, you’re able to keep them out of your home during the cold weather months of the year. Your home will be entirely insect-proof, and you’ll have no need to contact pest control to take care of the situation for you. Unlike other years where you experienced pests, you won’t have any to deal with this winter.