Landscaping Tips for Termite Prevention in Your Home
Termites do billions of dollars worth of damage to American homes each year. These hungry insects can be found in most parts of the country, including the Pocahontas, Illinois area. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to prevent termites from choosing your property as their home.
How to landscape your yard so that it’s uninviting to termites
- Keep wood mulch away from the perimeter of your home. Termites love warm, damp environments and they thrive on organic material. When you put pine bark and other wooden mulch right up to the foundation of your house, you’re laying out a welcome mat for a termite colony. Best to keep the mulch at least 3-5″ away from your foundation, or better yet, choose a non-organic type of mulch, such as decorative stones or shells.
- Stack your firewood away from the house. Just like mulch, piles of firewood are inviting to termites looking for a home. While a woodpile just outside the door may be convenient, it’s a better idea to stack it between two trees at the edge of your property.
- Use plastic instead of paper as a weed barrier. Newspapers can be an effective (and affordable) material to use in your flower gardens to help keep weeds from ruining the look of your bed and strangling your plants. However, the newspaper is organic and is enticing to termites. At least for those beds around the perimeter of your home, it’s better to use plastic landscaping cloth.
- Keep your trees and bushes trimmed. Overgrown vegetation and dead tree limbs can also be attractive to termites. If those limbs dangle over your roof, it can be an easy jump between the limb and your ceiling joists.
- Keep your gutters cleaned. Clogged gutters will deposit cascades of water at the edge of your foundation, creating a moist environment that is ideal for termites. Avoid this and keep rain from your roof well away from your home’s foundation by making sure that your gutters and drainpipes stay clear.
Keeping termites away from your Illinois home is all about making your property inhospitable when compared to your neighbors’ homes. Do this by keeping organic material away from your foundation, using plastic instead of paper as a weed barrier and keeping your trees and bushes under control. When in doubt, call your local professionals for termite prevention.
Methods of Pest Control
Pests can negatively impact human life. Humans, therefore, are always on guard to ensure they come up with pest control mechanisms to keep their homes safe from these harmful creatures. If you are having trouble controlling rodents and insects in Medora Illinois, relax since we have got you covered. Below, we share effective pest prevention methods for a secure home.
Keep your home clean
It is not easy to completely control pest infestation in your home. However, you can minimize their invention by taking time to clean and keep your home in order. A clean home is not only comfortable and welcoming but also helps keep pests at bay. Therefore, it is essential to occasionally clean even the dark places like closets and attic for a pest-free home.
Know your opponents
Although most pest prevention techniques guarantee to put away pests, it is essential to know the ideal habitat for pests. For instance, if you are dealing with rodents and mice, you need to know about their source of food, water, and shelter. This way, it will be easy to implement a control strategy that effectively controls them. Additionally, when you are aware of the type of pest you are dealing with, it will save you a lot of cash that would have been used trying to figure the best control method.
When pests invade your home for the first time, there are chances they will come again. Therefore, you have to keep watch and be alert all the time. Pests do not always manifest overnight, and if you are on the lookout, you will notice their entry long before they attack. If you see a pile of wood dust while sweeping the house, it may be an indicator that you have unwelcomed visitors in the home. It is time to take appropriate measures to drag them from their hideouts.
Although you can get insecticides from the local stores, having a professional assist you can be a convenient move. Professional termite and pest control firms understand how pests operate and are thus, efficient in eradicating them. It might be easy to think that buying the insecticide will save you a significant amount, but if you consider the amount of time you will spend dealing with pests, it will turn out to be way expensive than hiring a professional.
Reclaim your home and make it pest-free by hiring our professionals at Imel Pest Control to deal with pests even before they make your home their abode. You do not have to be neighbors with pests at all!
Why Choose Imel for Your Meadowbrook Illinois Pest Control and Removal Needs
Our beautiful community of Meadowbrook, IL is a great place to live, but it is also a haven for a variety of common pests, including insects and rodents. While these little critters do have roles to play in our local ecosystem, that doesn’t mean that you want them taking up residence on your property. Here at Imel Pest Control, we are proud to serve homeowners and businesses throughout the region, helping them keep their properties pest-free. Here’s what you need to know about working with us for your pest removal needs.
Complimentary Pest Inspections
Our process starts with a free inspection of your home or business. This enables us to identify any pest activity on your property so that we can customize our efforts to meet your needs. There is no charge for this service, and we’ll always provide you with a price quote before we do any pest removal or extermination work.
Keeping pests off your Meadowbrook property isn’t a one-time job; it requires vigilant effort to keep those unwanted pests at bay. Fortunately, our team is here for you. Depending on the types of pests that are most common in your area, we’ll develop a treatment plan that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
Dedicated Customer Service
Ever since our family-owned company got its start more than 50 years ago, we have always prioritized customer service. After all, it is our valued clients who have made us into the illustrious pest control company we are today. From the moment you get in touch with us, you’ll be able to see how much we truly care for our customers. When you work with us, you become part of the family.
60-Day Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
We proudly stand behind our work and the results we deliver. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied within the first 60 days after we have serviced your Meadowbrook home or business, simply reach out and let us know. We will do everything in our power to make it right as quickly as possible. When we are finished with your property, there shouldn’t be a single pest in sight!
Get Started with Imel Pest Control
It all starts with a simple phone call to our pest removal experts. We’ll be happy to set you up with an appointment for your free consultation, so get in touch with us today to get started. Get ready to rid your property of insects, rodents and other pests for good!