How does cold weather affect insects in Benld, IL?
Winter weather in Benld, IL can be downright frigid, with temperatures bottoming out below zero during some months. As a homeowner, you may be wondering what this means for the insects and other pests that make the area home. While many insects might die off during prolonged bouts of cold weather, other species will simply burrow beneath the ground and hibernate until warmer weather returns. Still, others will find a home in your space where it stays warm all year round.
Winter Pests that Make Your Home Theirs
The most common winter pests in Benld, IL are cockroaches, rodents and spiders. They find their way in through your ductwork, crawl space or attic and can also squeeze through drains and window gaps. Once established their population multiplies quickly and can infest your home before you’re even aware of their presence.
Minimizing Winter Pests
There are many ways to reduce the presence of winter pests in your home. These include
- sealing windows and doors, which will also help you keep heat in
- repairing cracks in your home’s foundation
- installing a mesh cover over your chimney
- checking for broken vent covers
- sealing gaps around plumbing lines
- trimming trees and bushes that sit next to your home
- fixing water leaks and install a dehumidifier in your crawl space or basement to reduce moisture
The Importance of Winter Pest Control
Much of the country, including Benld, has experienced warmer-than-normal winters during the past decade, allowing many common pests to remain active during the winter months. More pests can mean more hassle for you and your family, particularly when trying to get rid of them. While bug-proofing and diligence can do a lot to stop a population from growing, once they have become established, you need to call on a professional pest control company like Imel Pest Control to take care of the problem at its source. They have the tools and the experience to handle spiders, cockroaches, and other winter pests completely, so you can spend the winter season pest-free and cozy.
How to Insect-Proof the Outside of Your Home for the Belleville Winter
Pest control services in Belleville, IL are in high demand during the winter months of the year. A new type of pest infestation occurs as insects and rodents scurry to seek shelter from the cold. If you want to keep the pests out of your home, there are things that you can do to make the outside of your property free of insects and vermin. In fact, pest prevention is the alternative to hiring pest control to take care of the problem that could potentially worsen in size. Learn how to insect-proof your home in order to get prepared for the winter.
Tips on how to insect-proof the outside of your home for the Belleville winter include:
- Closing up entryways into the home. Insects and rodents enter through cracks, gaps, and holes. If you notice that there are visible signs of damage to your property’s siding, foundation or even window screens, it’s time to take charge and get those problem areas fixed. Doing so prevents insects and vermin from entering the home from the outside.
- Remove all sources of standing water. If snow has melted in buckets or birdbaths, make sure to dump them regularly to keep bugs from gravitating to the water. It’s where many insects lay their eggs and that means that as long as there is a place available to do so, you’ll have new insects hatching throughout the season. Don’t give the bugs a reason to hang around any longer than a second.
- Cover all firewood or bring it into an indoor space. Insects love hanging out in your woodpile. It provides the perfect shelter for them as well as a source of food. You can easily prevent the problem from occurring by finding an alternative place to store your firewood. If you need to keep a large amount of cut wood on hand for your furnace or fireplace, you may want to keep it in a sealed shed way away from all the insects who want to make your yard their new home.
Pest prevention takes action on your behalf. By diligently removing potential causes of pests, you’re able to keep them out of your home during the cold weather months of the year. Your home will be entirely insect-proof, and you’ll have no need to contact pest control to take care of the situation for you. Unlike other years where you experienced pests, you won’t have any to deal with this winter.
Winter Pest Control: Preventing Insect Infestation
When the cold weather hits during the winter here in Alton, IL, insects make their way into homes and businesses in the area, seeking warmth, water, and food. Once they get inside, it can be difficult to get them back out again, so it is much easier to just prevent them from gaining access in the first place. Before the weather starts to turn, there are steps you can take to secure your home against pests in the winter. Here’s what you need to do about preventing insect infestation.
Seal Off Any Access Points
Household pests are notorious for sneaking in through even the tiniest openings, so you’ll need to be vigilant about ensuring there is no way for them to get inside. Give the exterior of your property a thorough inspection, looking for any openings that could let them into your home. This includes loose seals around doorways, uncovered vents, and gaps in your eaves. Cover any openings with wire mesh, and seal small holes or cracks with caulk. Check periodically to ensure everything is still secure going forward.
Clean Up Your Yard
Roaches, spiders, and insects often hide in piles of junk around your yard, so take the time to finally get rid of those old toys, gardening tools and other debris that have built up over the years. If there is nowhere for pests to hide, they’ll seek shelter elsewhere, preferably away from your Alton home or business.
Secure Your Food
Pests have to eat just as we do, and they’ll eat just about anything they can find. Rather than leaving open food items, like cereal, crackers and other snacks, in their boxes, transfer them into airtight containers after opening. This way, the aromas of the food won’t be able to reach pests, making them less likely to invade your pantry. Do your best to clean up any crumbs or spills as quickly as possible to avoid attracting insects.
Call Our Pest Control Company
Sometimes even your best efforts aren’t quite enough to keep insect infestations at bay during the winter. If you are concerned about pest activity on your Alton property, get in touch with the pest control experts here at Imel Pest Control right away. We’ll treat your home or business to protect against insect infestations, and we will come back as needed to keep pests under control. It all starts with a free consultation, so get in touch with our team today!